Monday 2 December 2013

OUGD504 - Design for Print - Problems and resolutions with choice of stock (again)

Design for Print - Problems and resolutions with choice of stock (again) 

So, after the initial problem of getting the stock I needed (off white A1 card stock) I finally picked it up this weekend - it looks great!

I have 10 sheets of A1 Ivory coloured 330 gsm card and 4 sheets of 330gsm in a turquoise-y colour. Unfortunately the turquoise isn't what I originally envisioned, and I realise that turquoise is brighter and bluer than the colour I was thinking of - teal! Nevertheless, this colour looks great and although I'm changing my design, I think that it still looks just as good.

After this weekend, I decided to digitally print most of my project in order to reduce the amount of screens used for practical reasons. This includes the background colour and the words on the interior of the octagon box.
I need the turquoise printed on the ivory card to match the colour of the turquoise stock so the whole pack co-odinates. I got a Pantone reference guide and got a perfect match!
I knew that because the chosen stock wasn't bleach white that the turquoise wouldn't come out exactly the same colour - but so long as it was the closet match possible.




Problems have occurred when advised by James down in the Digital Print Room - he said he thinks that the turquoise would not only not be the same, but appear almost green and completely mis match the colour of the stock. He said that the only way to know is to test it and find out - or mock it up on the computer. 

We placed an overlay of the same colour of stock on the design on Illustrator - and found that there was no real way to get the colour to match - he said the only way to get the exact turquoise colour on the stock is to SCREEN PRINT!

I know that this isn't an option I want to go back to, I have asked a few of my peers what they thought and a few tutors and they thought that I should just digital print it and talk about how I could take the project further in my evaluation. But I didn't want to waste my nice stock on something that wasn't as perfect as it could be!

I have decided that I am going to buy more card stock in bleach white and fake the colour of the stock by printing a Pantone match in the background!

I'm really annoyed that the stock problems have set me back a week, and yet I have ended up not using the special stock at all. I'll have to use my posh stock another time....

No comments:

Post a Comment