Wednesday 16 April 2014

OUGD503 - Responsive - Stockton Heath Peal Appeal Development

OUGD503 - Responsive - Stockton Heath Peal Appeal Development

St Thomas' church in my hometown of Stockton Heath is in need of restoration for it's bell tower, as new bells are arriving. The church has only ever had one bell which doesn't ring, instead a recording is played to call people to service, so there is a lot of work needed to be done to strengthen the bell tower. 

I was approached by the vicar to create a banner and logo to represent a fundraising campaign to help this cause, called Stockton Heath Peal Appeal. (as in Peal of the bell)

I was kindly given this line drawing to work with and somehow incorporate it into the design. They stressed that the belltower must be shown so that people know the money is for the belltower and not just the bells themselves:

I began with an image of a church bell and started to illustrate my own over the top.




I decided to use a rich purple, since it's a colour often associated with christianity and it's also the colour that represents the culture of Stockton Heath.


I didn't like this background I had created, and was struggling to incorporate a belltower onto it, so I decided to draw a landscape instead.



So first it was the sky and clouds.




I created the belltower using the line drawing, reference images from Google, and my own personal knowledge of what the tower looks like. It was paramount that I included the extra tall steeple, as it is unique to this church.


I put the tower onto the landscape and started to play around with words.


The final image:


The final image included the logo design I had created for the campaign, too:


The feedback I got was really positive, the only request was to remove the VirginGiving URL as this was a link to be posted to their website itself, but overall a success!



No comments:

Post a Comment