Monday 12 May 2014

OUGD505 - Studio Brief 2 - Bostandyk Logo development

I know that I want to have the Shanyrak found in my research as part of my logo:


But as you can see by this first image, it's looking a bit plain! It also doesn't convey the hotel's high class 'michelin' standard I'm after. I think it needs to be more delicate!

I look back at the Kazakh alphabet for a bit of inspiration:


I have now decided to change my hotel name from Koreym to Bostandyk, meaning 'freedom' in an anglicised pronunciation of Kazakh. I chose to change it because I wasn't entirely certain on the meaning on 'Koreym' and I was having problems working around the 'K'! I chose 'Bostandyk' because it means freedom, so is a lot more relevant to the outdoor theme of my hotel. After looking at the Cyrillic Kazakh alphabet I have chosen the symbol that best resembles the latin 'b'. I don't mean to ever use this in context but just as a starting point for visuals:


Trying out with different letters how they may look a bit more kazakh- stylised. 


The logo so far - I used as many different symbols from the cyrillic alphabet as possible. At this point, I feel like the logo looks rather dated, and possibly needs simplifying.


To incorporate the Shanyrak symbol back into the design and to simplify the long logo into a more apply-able version, I have cut to just the 'b' shape with the brackets of the Shanyrak over the bowl of the 'b'. 

In this image, I have deleted one of the brackets as I'm now using the swoop of the bowl as the third vertical bracket.



Here is the finished logo! I refined the shape of the 'b' to a lot more sleek and elegant by practising lots of different line thicknesses until this was the final result.
for the title etc, I tried lots of different fancy typefaces but found that the simplest ones, like 'Adobe Garamond Pro' with stylised kerning settings give a lot more classier look.
I'm really happy with the logo so far, but I am thinking that I want to incorporate different colours into the overall branding so I will see how the logo gets affected in these different sectors.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the post. A beautiful logo for your business can make a great impression. So put a log while in your business card for better identification. Business cards printing service in Australia nowadays provides online services.

    ReplyDelete