Saturday 10 May 2014

OUGD505 - Studio Brief 2 - Pattern development

After looking at my research, it seems the best way to unite a brand all together is obviously through logos and colours, but more notably, patterns. This is why I have decided I want to make my own pattern to not only unite all pieces across my brand, but also get more of the Kazakh theme into my work.



Kazakh patterns are a heavy mixture of both angular and natural wavy parts. Here Iam layering a possible pattern idea.




This was the first time I had used the pattern creator in illustrator and I don't like it at all!  However, I think my pattern is getting somewhere, only I feel like its a bit flimsy looking with a lot of blank spaces in between each section. I am also having problems wondering how colours will/ can be applied to this. I think it needs to be strengthened.


I re-started the pattern into something a bit more modern, but found it was too dense! Feeling a bit like goldilocks!





After looking AGAIN at lots of different Kazakh patterns, I decided to do something a bit more floral based on a medallion layout as it would be easier to apply.





This application of colour is a lot easier to categorise into the 4 sections of the hotel I want to include. Because of it's bold outline and stark black, I don't feel like this pattern is too feminine but does the job nicely! The medallion shape is good for application onto business cards and other products too as a watermark perhaps?

No comments:

Post a Comment