Thursday 21 November 2013

OUGD504 - Design for Print - Preparing and Planning to Print and Sourcing stock

Design for Print - Preparing and Planning to Print

21st November 2013

Because this is such an ambitious project - the preparing of the printing has taken half a day in itself! 

Facilities breakdown in chronological order:

1.Digital Print

  • Octagon design - Border, Turquoise Background, centre with words, and registration marks.
  • Inner Card design - double sided complete design with registration marks.

2.Screen Print

Paper Screens

  • Rose box complete design & butterfly box complete design A1
  • Octagon - gold swirls A1


Fabric Screens

  • Foil and Flock inner card A3
  • Illustrations and stars Octagon A1


3.Laser Cutter

  • Octagon - Cut through stars and registration marks, score through folds.
  • Rose box - cut through stars and around design and score
  • Butterfly - cut around design and score


ADD REGISTRATION MARKS TO EVERYTHING!

***AMENDED : CANNOT PRINT DOUBLE SIDED A1 IN DIGITAL PRINT!***

I totally forgot that you can't print double sided a1 in digital print!

My peers say that I should screen print the whole thing. This sounds like a lot of work, but will the outcome be worth it? 

This would mean :
  • 4 x a1 Paper screens
  • 1 x a1 fabric screen
  • 1 x a3 fabric screen


Sourcing stock

Stock needed (doing 4 complete Posh Pass the Parcels in total)

4x A1 Antique white stock - at least 330 - 400 gsm
2x A1 black card stock around 330 gsm
1xA1 (turquoise maybe?) or antique white stock

25th November 2013

***AMENDED : CANNOT BUY A1 ANTIQUE WHITE CARD IN THE LIBRARY!***

Further research reveals that it's not a very common item - but bleach white is. If I can get antique white / off white/ ivory / cream stock then I will go with that because bleach white doesn't really suit the 'posh' theme of the pack. 

I phoned my Dad, who works at a large scale printing company to see if he could help me out, as because it's such an uncommon item I would have to order it - at least 25 sheets from the likes of GF Smith that I can't afford and don't need that many!

Success! He managed to get me 10 sheets of a1 cream/ ivory card stock around 330 gsm and 3 sheets of turquoise. This is so useful but I won't be able to get it off him until the weekend which delays my printing plans for nearly a whole week.

Because of my trouble with stock I'm getting on with the things I am able to do. I printed off the inner card design on cream stock as it's only a3, and I've booked a laser cutter session for Thursday to cut out the Rose box design.

Because the Rose Box design is on card stock, I thought it would be easier having it cut out first to be able to register with my screen design. 

You can see the laser cutting of the boxes here.


2 comments:

  1. Nice post. Posters have great impact on business advertisement. print your adshel posters in Sydney with more colorful and unique design from budget print plus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds simple to read! The focus on the topic is full time and really awesome at the concept. Thanks

    Online Printing Services Australia.

    ReplyDelete