Wednesday 27 November 2013

OUGD504 - Design for print - Problems and resolutions with the inner card

Design for Print - Inner Card Design - Resolving Design Problems 

So, after digitally printing around 30 inner card final designs double sided, I come to realise upon assembly of one of them, that I HAVE DONE IT WRONG!

As opposed to going like this ....







...it goes like this...







!!!!!!!



...despite me doing it correctly on all of my previous mockups, and writing a little reminder to myself to make sure the panels were correctly arranged!
This is because in all of my mockups etc I have printed off 2 sheets of paper and stuck them together as opposed to printing double sided so I have cut it out and stuck it correctly.

This feels like a major setback as I don't feel like I have time to sort this out!

I know what I have to do - just change the panels around, but this moment of panic also gives me doubts about my design that I didn't even know I had problems with before.

Because it's double sided - this affects the finishing effects that I intended to apply - on the 'unveiling' page I wanted to have flocking on it but because of the calculations the page with the foil on it is the reverse, meaning 2 effects are on the same piece of paper. Because they require different temperatures and lengths of time under the heat press to develop, could this mean that they either burn/ melt or don't develop at all?

I sought the advice of Andy from the Blenheim print room, the main campus for foiling/ flocking. He said that he sees no problem in this but only compromise the temperature/ time to attend to both processes.

Danielle also told me that the thermochromatic ink design that I had created was not suitable for the thermochromatic ink that they provide at the Vernon St campus, as it did not act as a mask, how I had designed it to be. I could purchase thermo ink online, but I didn't know enough about each individual products/ brands to be confident to experiment and would rather use it under the guidance of the staff. I asked the staff at the Vernon Street campus, Neil and Sarah, what they think that my resolutions could be.

They said that to achieve the 'heat to reveal' effect, the thermo ink would have to be the negative space around the lettering and be EXACTLY the same shade and registered perfectly. This sounds super difficult, and now I'm racing against time. I can either do this option, just do a colour change ink effect instead, or not do it at all and put a different effect in the pass the parcel. 

I decide I'm just going to do a colour change, as it's still relevant and it's not nearly as difficult!

So, digital print is booked for Monday at 3.00pm to reprint all of the inner card designs, I have changed the panels and bought all of my materials!

Monday 2nd December 2013

Because of the problems with stock this morning, I have changed all of the colours of the inner card design and bought different stock to print it on at 3pm. Hopefully this print will be successful!


No comments:

Post a Comment