Friday 28 February 2014

OUGD503 - Responsive - Design Process 2 - Studio Brief 2 - Collaborative Practice - T is for Treetops Development

OUGD503 - Responsive - Design Process 2 - Studio Brief 2 - Collaborative Practice - T is for Treetops Development

This box didn't have as much input from me as the C is for Camping box did in the final elements, but I did create the background for this box.


Here is our planned sketch considering all of the different animals we researched into.


 Creating the background


I first off started off as I did with the camping box, with the sky in the background. I then started to draw the trees for the background, which I wanted to be much more cartoony and simplified than those in the background, so that they were easy to differentiate from. I created these by simply drawing triangles, sometimes with overlapping gradients with the grain/ sprinkles effect used on the C is for Camping box. I copied the logs from the campfire over and reshaped them for the tree trunks.


I also copied lots of other elements over from the C is for Camping box, such as the grass, rocks and tonal campfire floor.


But I made it a lot subtler with the use of a slightly darker gradient.



Instead of the foreground being more rocks like on the campsite box, we decided long grass would be a suitable substitute.


Here I am adding a bit more texture using the brush tool.


The whole scene so far!


I placed in Danielle's addition of the 'T is for treetops' sign.


I then added her treestump and insctructions drawing, too!

I tried to draw a Crossbill as it was one of the more obscure animals from our research, but we decided not to go with it in favour of the more well known squirrel.



which Danielle proceeded to create. Once I had received it I drew on the hands as she struggled with this, and I changed the colours and added the subtle sprinkle gradients as seen on the other animals.


She was also in charge of creating the owl! The owl has a really cool feature of being able to slot into one of the trees.


Drawing the foreground trees


Starting off from one of my sketches, I used the same techniques used on the 'C is for Camping' box, and copied lots of the elements from that box over for consistency.



The next part was for the leaves. After studying the leaves of the birch tree, it's a lot like a willow in that it falls down like clumps of hair! I started with a cloud shape in green for the bulk of the tree's leaves and started to copy and paste different clumps of leaves and layered them up.


A little more progress....


Here I have added a bit more depth by adding different tones of colour to give the impression of layers and layers of leaves!


I added an area around the tree for it's stand to slot into once cut out. Here I am placing it into the design.


I got rid of the area so that it would blend into the background more but left that particular amount of space in the cutting out area for the slot.


I made sure that the owl was in similar proportions to the other animals, as in the end it would have to work as a set in whole.


I made some subtle changes to match the colour scheme. 

Creating the Oak tree


Like our other images, I started off with a sketch.


I firstly drew the nest in the tree, as this added a bit more features and animal habitats into the scene.


I began with the basic shape, and, like the birch tree, layered up the straw.


and added texture to the egg


Using the same techniques as previously, I was sure to incorporate both a tree hollow and a burrow underneath for maximum animal housing!


I also decided to incorporate some of Danielle's design elements by adding a copy of the mushrooms she created for her tree stump.


Here are all the elements so far! Because the oak tree is a lot wider than the other elements to the design, I placed it half around the corner to utilise this sturdy fold, meaning it can stand up without a slot.

Creating the hedgehog 


I started off with a basic shape but with no initial sketch.


Then adding a few features.


A lot of the elements were borrowed from other animals like the rabbit and the nose of the deer.

Adding the text boxes


Now it was time to add the text boxes!


For the T is for Treetops box we decided to go with green for the text boxes this time. I used the same techniques as the C is for Camping Deer and Rabbit text boxes such as the different shapes, to emphasise the most important parts of the facts, and also make the composition a bit more interesting.


I even added an arrow! 

The finished back of box:


Here is the finished back of the box, including all of the other procedures we went through with the camping box, IE Danielle added the necessary nutrition information and we added a fact about bumble bees instead of the fireflies like on the C is for Camping box. We were also keen to include an incentive to purchase more boxes on this design, and so put a question 'Do you know who lives in burrows like these?' to the children, letting them know that they will find the rabbit on the C is for Camping box.

We had a couple facts about trees we wanted to share and so decided to have them in a slightly different format and wrap them around the top of the trees.


No comments:

Post a Comment