Tuesday 25 February 2014

OUGD505 - Design Practice 2 - Jackson Rising Task 1 & 2

OUGD505 - Design Practice 2 - Jackson Rising Task 1 & 2

Today in our class workshop, we were set the challenge of creating a flyer and concertina leaflet for an upcoming exhibition at MoMA gallery in New York.

After being given the bodycopy, images and rules (only to use black and white, no alterations to be made to logos and images) we were to create firstly the flyer in 30 mins, then the 10 page concertina in 3 hours.

Here is my final response for the flyer:
What I found most difficult about completing this task was choosing a suitable typeface that would accompany and compliment the 'Jackson Rising' logo. I knew that it had to be sans serif, but I found that my choices repeatedly made the design look dated. I like my finished design, although looking at it now I can see that the spacing of the composition could be improved, by balancing the gap at the top of the page and evening it at the bottom.

Here is my final response for the leaflet:

Front cover and first double page spread for artist Jenny Dowd:

Second double page spread for artist Ruth Boerefijn:

Third double page spread for artist Lindsey Glover:
 Fourth double page spread for artist Mayme Kratz:

And final last page/ back cover for contact details:

Overall, I found this task particularly difficult, taking up nearly all three given hours to complete it, with nothing particularly impressive to show. I have always struggled with using grids, and found that I had a lot of space and not a lot of content to fill it. I found the task quite restricting and will note this as something I need to study and focus on as it is definitely not one of my strengths.


No comments:

Post a Comment