Tuesday 7 January 2014

OUGD504 - Design for Print and Web - World Book Day Token Designs

OUGD504 - Design for Print and Web - World Book Day Token Designs

After having a quick look at the World Book Day Token designs from the past, I realised that they usually have a perforated section that can be torn off and put in a wallet for easy transportation. They also include terms and conditions in quite a big font so is easily legible for younger audiences.
I wanted to have the World Book Day Token to be as similar to the genuine things as possible, with the re-theming of the Around the World in 80 Stories design:


My favourite designs out of these 4 are numbers 2 and 3 - I prefer the main layout of number 2 and the tear off section of number 3, because it incorporates the 80 stories Victorian style with the world book day requirements.

I developed these combined ideas further:


Again, out of these 2 designs (front and back for each) I much prefer design 1 - but it will need a lot more digital development.


Digitisation of Book Token Design.


I start off by setting up my artboards correctly with a 3mm bleed in case I decide to use photographs going to the edge.


I then add the hand drawn scans, using clipping masks to crop them to shape, so I have something to help me. I also add guides.

Since this is the first design with the introduced sponsors of Waterstones, here I am making the Waterstones logo into a vector object using the live trace tool:




I complete the first section - the tear- off part of the token. I am not sure about the use of typefaces - are there too many? I am also wondering if the introduction of the photograph in the background later on will make the design better or worse?


Now onto the main token section. 


looking at the design without the scan of the drawing in the background, I think that the URL is too big, and needs to be more subtle at the bottom of ticket. The 'let the adventures begin!' looks to rigid on one straight line, and would look more fun if it was more like the Jules Verne quote on the map - different sizes and lines:


It still looks kind of awkward....


It looks a lot better up here, but now disagrees with the rest of my intended design. So I will fill in the rest of the design, and come back to this later.


I then start to add the illustration of the hot air balloon from the other document.


According to my sketch, the balloon is at more of an angle and is smaller, as if blowing onto the design, through the border.



I decide to add a line of text similar to that on the real book tokens for World Book Day, as seen in my research (here) 

trying to adjust the type is tricky! I decide to use different type weights and lines to divide the different segments up.


I still think that it needs tweaking but I will come back to this momentarily.



Overleaf, I muddle with the terms and conditions. I decide to use the 'Cinzel' typeface for the most important details. I want it to have that letterpressed style like the other side but still keep it serious and legible.


Adding a logo again divides it up a bit easier. I may replace this logo with the 80 stories logo, though.



Again, adding lines and different weights helps to fill up the composition.


Now for the instructions. I know I want big, playful numericals in 'Desigers Bold' typeface and the instructions to be in 'Cinzel' for legibility:




Starting to add the bodycopy - as required and seen on previous World Book Day token designs.


Still fiddling with the layout - I think that the text needs to be smaller but I am fearful that it may not be legible any smaller! I also have to include the World Book Day website ... somewhere?!


I add it in like the other side - but there is no structure to the composition and just looks messy!


If I add another illustration to break the composition up, maybe then I can divide and organise it more easily?


I split the composition up into column-like halves - only to realise this actually makes it more cramped and isn't working. I undo this and play around with the previous design.

I change the name of the URL to the correct website - and the tagline above it. I also add a 1/4 centimetre border at the bottom as it looked too cramped and too close to the edge. I decide to centre the main bodies of text and keep changing the sizes until it looks legible.


I add lines around the 'OR' to emphasise it and add a bit of structure, and keep playing around with the sizes and positioning of the numbers.


I noticed the typo - oops! (number 2 section) I also decided to change the title to something easier to understand - we may be appealing to children in this case! I also moved around the text in the tear-off section, spacing it more easily.



Then, for both of the logo banners, I trim the lines behind so that they don't interfere with the transparent appearance of the logo's negatives.


I trim away the border to make it look like the balloon is floating in.


The tokens are nearly finished! I added stars and etching lines to keep the consistency with the map and poster designs. I also noticed that the exclamation mark on the front was interfering with the 'adventures' part and so I moved it.

I am still thinking that the photo in the background of this will ruin the design - but I'm not sure if leaving it black on white is appropriate for a supposed 'fun' event that will attract a lot of younger audiences.



Obviously, this is just a trial of the background photo and I would finalise by choosing a photo with less interfering highlights and better image quality. But I am still not sure about it, as I preferred it before, but it now doesn't match the rest of the project!

No comments:

Post a Comment