Sunday 12 January 2014

OUGD504 - Design for web - coding the rest of the site and final designs

OUGD504 - Design for web - coding the rest of the site and final designs

Due to my very slow start in terms of grasping how to build a website, I was getting more and more frustrated. I just couldn't understand it! Even with tutor's help, advice from my peers and tutorials online it just wasn't going in - which is unusual because I am usually very logically minded and found it difficult to understand why I didn't 'get' it.

I spoke to one of my peers, Laura Bruce, who said that if I was having real trouble with it, I could always insert a table, enter my measurements and drop my text/ artwork in.

So, to compensate for time and effort lost, I created the rest of my website using this method. I really regret that I didn't try harder to understand coding properly, and have since arranged to have another lesson about coding, and the preparations I need to make for this.

My finished website looks OK, but I feel like it could have been better had I taken the time to teach myself a little harder about coding instead of taking a shortcut in my final design.

Final designs:

Home page:



Includes an image slider and a mini booking facility with drop down boxes. Further developments would include a 'book now' which would take you to the full booking page with results of your booking request.

About page:




Includes a basic history on the Basilica / what it is, some quick facts about the Basilica and some of the famous artists that worked on it. Further developments would include an image slider for each artist, a 'things to see' section, links to an interactive map.

Explore Page:



Features a (mockup of ) a 360 degree walkthrough to entice the viewer into visiting, and a gallery showcasing the beauty of the building. It also includes a donation facility to a charity in association with the church. Further developments could be printables for children, recommended tours, link to the Pope's twitter feed.

Book Page:





Features include: booking facility, link to the itinerary of the church via Google calendar, Entry requirements, contact information helplines and directions to the Basilica via Google maps and written directions. Further developments could include links to 'whats on' blog, or articles about recent events to advertise to the viewer, it might affect when they want to book.

Overall I am happy with my design but I think it could be really improved!

No comments:

Post a Comment